The Java Virtual Machine Runtime Team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the virtual execution environment running the Java platform. The team excels in areas ranging from Java Virtual Machine specification adherence, memory allocation, signals, synchronization & locking, JNI, JFR, threading to support and/or use the latest Java features from projects Amber, Loom, Panama, & Valhalla.
You will be part of the highly distributed JVM Runtime team and work mainly using C++ to improve the Java experience for users world wide. Participation in high-profile projects is expected. Additional job responsibilities include working with external developers on OpenJDK, customers, and partners on defects and feature improvement requests for future releases.
- Deliver stable and secure features and bug fixes in a timely fashion
- Design and deliver new features in high-profile projects
- Take initiatives to debug and solve difficult issues
- Take responsibility for the Runtime code base through active participation in design discussions and code reviews
- Lead through example and mentor junior developers
Skills & Experience
- B.S. or above, Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent degree
- 10+ years proven experience
- Experience with API design, code development, and debugging in multi-platform environments (Windows, Linux, Mac) a plus
- Experience with implementing Java Virtual Machine features a plus
- Strong on data structures, algorithms, performance tuning, threading and concurrency
- Strong on quality, including developing detailed tests for new or changed code
- Strong Java and C++ programming background and experience
- Hands-on experience in distributed computing, concurrency programming, performance improvements in a container, cloud or server environment, algorithm design and implementation
- Familiarity with test automation tools and practices (unit and system level automation)
- Design, develop, solve and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks, etc.
- Excellent communication skills