Episode 18 “Java's steady march towards strong encapsulation” with Alan Bateman
With JEP 403, Java 17 will strongly encapsulate the JDK internals. This is the latest step in a process that began in Java 9 with the modularization of the JDK. In this episode, Alan Bateman joins Chad to discuss the importance of strong encapsulation, the history, how this will affect your applications today, and what to do in order to prepare for it.
Contact us here.
- JEP 162: Prepare for Modularization
- JEP 260: Encapsulate Most Internal APIs
- JEP 261: Module System
- JEP 396: Strongly Encapsulate JDK Internals by Default
- JEP 403: Strongly Encapsulate JDK Internals
- Recommended replacement APIs of JDK’s internal APIs
- “Safety Not Guaranteed: sun.misc.Unsafe and the Quest for Safe Alternatives” (Paul Sandoz)
- Project Panama