Gavin Bierman - Consulting Member Of Technical Staff
Gavin Bierman is a Consulting Member of Technical Staff based at Oracle Labs UK. He is a member of the Programming Language Research Group and is currently a member of the Java team helping design the next versions of Java.
His interests are broadly in the areas of programming language design and formalisation. He has published papers on Java, C#, TypeScript, databases (object-oriented, XML and noSQL), type systems, operational semantics, separation logic, dynamic software updating, relational algebra, lambda calculus, control operators, modal logic, proof theory and category theory.
He joined Oracle in March 2014. Previously he was a senior researcher at Microsoft Research Cambridge from March 2004 until March 2014. Before that he was a lecturer at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory and a Fellow, College Lecturer and Director of Studies at St John’s College, Cambridge. He has a PhD from the University of Cambridge, and a BSc from Imperial College.
Papers and talks can be found here.
- Pattern Matching in the Java Object Model on January 6, 2021 Amber Java Language
- Specs update on December 22, 2020 Amber JDK 16 Java Language
- New candidate JEP: 395: Records on October 9, 2020 Amber JDK 16
- New candidate JEP: 394: Pattern Matching for instanceof on October 6, 2020 Amber JDK 16
- Finalizing in JDK 16 - Records on July 27, 2020 Amber JDK 16
- Finalizing in JDK 16 - Pattern matching for instanceof on July 27, 2020 Amber JDK 16
- Pattern Matching for Java on September 7, 2018 Amber
- Extending switch for pattern matching on April 1, 2017 Amber
- Java Language Futures: Spring 2021 on April 8, 2021 Amber JDK 17 JDK 16
- OracleDevLive Preview | Gavin Bierman on Java Language Futures on February 24, 2021 Amber
- Java Language Futures - Mid 2020 Edition on September 17, 2020 Java Language Amber